You would’ve heard this term in many places “ Cybersecurity ”. I mean who hasn’t in this Cyber tagged world today? But, very few know what it actually means. The current generation is madly attracted to the internet and with Telecom Service Providers such as Reliance Jio, why wouldn’t they be? The Internet has become a very important part of our lives, but is it safe? Are we forgetting something? Should we give that much importance to Internet?
Don’t we all come across identity thefts, Aadhar card numbers being sold for 500Rs, Banks getting hacked, a famous personality’s accounts getting hacked? So let’s see what cybersecurity actually means and how to make our systems secure!
Cybersecurity – The geeky definition!
For starters, let’s have a look at what sir Wiki has got to say…
Cybersecurity means is the protection of computer systems from the theft and damage to their hardware, software , as well as from disruption or of the services they provide.
Source : Computer security – Wikipedia
In layman’s language, it basically means, protecting our systems from being hacked or our files being stolen.
Hacking is one common thing that can compromise our cybersecurity. Every person who uses the internet must know what the types of vulnerabilities and attacks are.
Cybersecurity – Paraphernalia!
Before moving on to the security part, let’s have a look at why do we actually need security at all. I’m gonna brief you about different kind of threats a normal user comes under. So, let’s get going…
- Denial-of-service Attack(DoS)
The attacks that stop/deny users from using a particular file or website or some service is termed as DoS Attack.
- Direct-access Attack
This is what hacking actually is in other terms. Gaining access of a restricted or another person’s system without his/her knowledge. This can be done by planting viruses or bugs and is one of the rare form of threats to cybersecurity.
Suspiciously listening to any communication between two users or systems on a network is called as Eavesdropping.
Spoofing is just altering the exact data such as IP address, MAC address to gain access to certain websites or to acquire certain information and resources.
As the dictionary meaning tells, interfering with something in order to cause some damage or make some changes. Tampering data or some passwords can lead to a loss in billions is certain companies.
The emails in spam folders of our email accounts are links which steal our sensitive information, such as Identity, Bank Account Details, certain Passwords, etc. An attempt to directly acquire any such data is called as Phishing. It is the most common type of attacks and many fall prey to it.
Also Read : FAST CHARGING :- Everything you need to know
Now let’s check out the cybersecurity part!
Now that I’ve told you what the types of attacks are, it’s only fair if I tell you how to counter them.
Things to keep in mind:
- Always avoid clicking any links in emails from unknown person or emails that ask for details telling you’ve won something.
- Never log in to accounts from any random system.
- Always activate two-factor authentication, so that you can log in only after typing the right password and the OTP which will be sent to email or mobile number (mostly the latter).
- Try using anti-virus software such as Avast, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc.
- Make your passwords complicated with different cases of alphabets, special characters, and numbers.
- If data is very valuable, try creating multiple firewalls so that the attackers have to break their heads off to crack them.
- If valuable data is to be stored, try encrypting it using some software.
- Always keep your system security up to date.